Do you know this pretty lady? You may have seen her face around here several times in the past when we did a few features together! If not, this is Meagan and she is the blogger behind Because of Jackie. And she is precious. A sweet wife, momma, blogger, and fashionista all rolled into one!
1. Name (you + husband): Meagan and Christian
2. Share the story of when / how you met your husband:
We met in college, my friend introduced me to him casually and we became friends, first. I knew he was great and loved hanging out with him, but wasn’t introduced in dating anyone at that point. It’s funny, we have a picture of that first day we met and I love it. I was 19 and he was 21 and we look like babies! I didn’t know it that day, but he would give me everything I ever needed in this world.
3. Was it love at first sight?: It wasn’t. I liked him as a person, I thought he was one of the greatest men I knew, but I didn’t want to date. We hung out, a lot. Eventually we were together almost all the time, yet I knew he was graduating and didn’t want to pursue something that would end when he left. After a summer together I discovered that I never wanted to be without him, that I couldn’t imagine live without him. I needed him in my life in whatever way I could. He ended up staying for an extra semester and we began dating and he was the sweetest, most loving person I could have dreamed of being with. He stayed at school a whole extra year for me, working and getting ready to go into the Coast Guard and this cemented our relationship. It wasn’t love at first sight, but it turned out to be better.
4. How long have you been married?: We’ve been married for almost ten years, with every single year getting better and better. I never thought at the moment that it could be improved upon, but looking back I can see how we have grown and how we have learned how to be a couple and individuals together.
5. What was your favorite moment from your wedding day?: It’s funny, the farther you get away from your wedding day and experience life, the less it matters to you (or me, anyway!) I had fun at my wedding, I enjoyed it, but the wedding itself isn’t my favorite part of marriage. My favorite parts are when I saw him hold our first born child, or when we sit and giggle and laugh watching tv in bed, or being able to have a weekend away from the kids. These moments are so much more special to me, they speak about our life and marriage, not a particular day in time.
6. Was there anything you found hard to adjust to after marriage?: Living with someone is hard! We moved in together for two years before we got married and moved to a far location (the Bahamas!) right after college. That was hard. Leaving everything we knew, everyone we knew and living in a foreign country? It was isolating and difficult. We were college kids living a suddenly grown up life and it took adjustment. Since then we have learned to compromise, a lot, and you learn to not say every little things that comes to your mind that annoys you about a person! Of course he annoys me, and I know I annoy him, but you learn to find the things that are important to you (having the pillows on the couch look perfect, making the bed, etc) may not be important to them.
7. If you could give one piece of advice about /for marriage what would it be?: Think in your head every single day, “what is one thing I can do to make their day better?” I think this creates a cycle of caring and showing them that you are there to help them, plus it creates a need in them to to the same for you.
Also, you may not like each other every single day of your relationship. It’s impossible! Remember that this is temporary and arguments/disagreements will pass. Sleep on it! Go to bed angry, give it some thought over whether to not this issue is really something that needs to be argued over. Often I find it is not.
8. What do you love the very most about your husband?: I love that he makes me laugh. Every single day he makes me happy to lay in bed next to him and share my life with him. I also love that he has given me the gift of motherhood, and creating this family with him is just perfection.
Such perfect marriage advice! And such a cute story!